Desire – Part 1

The reason for this long post is because we've all got desires; whether they have been fulfilled or waiting to be fulfilled. Lately, I have been thinking about my desires and whether they are what God desires too. I want to know and understand “desire” more plus to know how to direct them as God desires. I'll split this long post into two – it's easier for digestion.

I began with a search on the word “desire” and one of the first few verses that struck me was: 2 Samuel 19:38 The king said, "Kimham shall cross over with me, and I will do for him whatever pleases you. And anything you desire from me I will do for you." And;

2 Samuel 23:5 "Is not my house right with God? Has he not made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part? Will he not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire?”

Am I willing to say to God or can I say to God with confidence, “I will do whatever pleases You. Anything You desire from me I will do for You”? Moreover, to say that to a fellow human being is rare and almost unthinkable. In our generation, we can hardly find such a man of integrity who is able to say likewise. God makes an everlasting covenant with each one of us and that covenant is arranged, secured in every part (2 Sam. 23:5), written about in the scroll (Ps. 40:7-9), and one that is sealed by His Spirit (Matt. 28:18-20). I believe our desires are endorsed by God. Even if we think it is of ourselves or of the flesh, if we yield to God, He has and will have to endorse it before He allows it to bear fruit in the natural. This is for the same reason mentioned in God's word: unless the seed/desire falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds (John 12:23-24).

The Bible talks about desire as something we rule over (1 Kings 11:37), as something that is birthed within our hearts (1 Chron. 29:17-19) - as He tests the intention of our hearts, placed in our hearts by God as they are God-guided (Ps. 107:29-31), meant to be satisfied (Ps. 145:15-17; Ps. 145:19; Prov. 10:24; Prov. 13:4), it has a purpose as it either brings good or evil (Prov. 11:23), can be stirred, aroused, or awakened (Eccl. 12:5; Song of Solomon 2:7), meant to be directed to God and His name (Isa. 26:7-9; Ps. 73:25; Ps. 40:8) and it is something we yield our spirit to (Gal. 5:17).

The Bible clearly distinguishes two types of desires:

1. Worldly desires/desires of the flesh and;

2. Desires of the Spirit.

Through my search of the Bible regarding desire, I found so many promises or desires fulfilled in the Bible. It is not just something of the past; it happens today too. God gives us the desire of our heart and does not withhold the request of our lips (Ps. 20:4; Ps.21:1; Ps. 145:19; Prov. 10:24; Prov. 11:23; Prov. 13:4). He satisfies our desires with good things so that our youth is renewed like the eagle's (Ps. 103:5); for hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life (Prov. 13:12).

There are desires of our hearts, such as a desire to live a well and good long life. “Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.” (Ps. 34:12-13)

Or desire for shelter and safety in Ps. 107:29-30: “He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.”

Examples of desires that we should awaken or cultivate: Desire to know God (Ps. 73:25); desire wisdom for “She (wisdom) is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her” (Prov. 3:15; Prov. 17:16); eagerly desire spiritual gifts – especially the gift of prophecy (1 Cor. 12:31; 1 Cor. 14:1), desire what the Spirit desires (Rom. 8:5), desire to live honourably in every way (Heb. 13:18), and desire to do His will (Ps. 40:7-9).

There are also desires that God has placed in our hearts (2 Chron. 1:11): God said to Solomon, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honour, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, riches and honour, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have." Solomon had a God-given desire for wisdom although he could have asked God for wealth, riches and honour or anything else for that matter.

Similarly, like all things under heaven, we are submitted to God's time and season. Even our desires have got their own time and season as to when they will be fulfilled. (Ps. 145:15-17) “The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made.”

In Habakkuk 2:3-4 it says: For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. "See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright— but the righteous will live by his faith…” God is not a liar; He will prove Himself strong and Faithful. The promises of God are yes and amen; they come on time and will not appear to be a second or minute late.

As for the wrong desires in us, God will remove them if we allow Him. “How will I know if I have wrong desires?” you asked. The Word tells me “Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires” (Rom. 8:5). “For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want” (Gal. 5:17) and “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires” (Gal. 5:24). If our desires are contrary to the Spirit, they will be in conflict with each other. So then, are any of your desires in conflict with the Spirit? Uncertain about it? Let me give you another verse: 1 John 2:16-17 says “For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.” Therefore, the worldly desires will pass away; but remains, is our desire to do the will of God.

Does God have desires too? What does God desire then?

God's Desire

2 Chron. 9:8 and Song of Solomon 7:10 states that God delights in us and desires to uphold us forever. Hosea 6:6 and Ps. 40:5-7 says that God desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. Psalm 51:6 tells me that surely God desires truth in the inner parts; for God teaches us wisdom in the inmost place. God intents to accomplish what He said He will do for He is a promise keeper and a God full of integrity and righteousness. Key verse: Isaiah 55:10-12 says “As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

I believe that truth comes along with desire. Truth in our inmost being, truth about our true intentions; and with truth God provides wisdom to apply them and wisdom to carry out our desires. Somehow, unless and until our desire becomes His desire; or rather His desire becomes our desire, that seed has not gone through the process of falling to the ground; it will not bear much fruit. If we will, but surrender our desires to God and make His desire ours, until then Jesus said: "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one" (John 17:9-11). If we realize all that we have, all that we are, all that we desire is His and is for His glory; nothing is impossible for we will not be in want. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I like. I believe God had put these desires in the heart of believers so that He can fulfil them. It's a way of bringing God's will to earth. These desires fuel prayers

Popular posts from this blog

Terebinth Tree

Beautiful Mercy